Pages

Sunday 16 February 2014

Always Moving

Since I have been able to drive too and from testing sessions I get a lot of time to think (always a dangerous situation). It gives me far too much time where I can over think situations but also remind myself of conversations. Driving back from testing yesterday I was reminded of my a conversation with a friend about studying for a PhD and working in research.
Friendship chats compressed to motivational notes.


The first thing is that, "you make it happen". It is difficult but like many things if you do not try then you do not know. In my friends case, they had come from another country. To go to another country and study in a non-native language is a massive gamble. In order to get to where they wanted there was a necessity to do this since there are more research opportunities here than back in their home country.

However there was also the realisation you also have to be prepared to move around. The realisation that you know that most of your friends are settling down in one place or with someone, Or that their job ends when they leave the office. That you are unlikely to settle down so easily or quickly as they have because you have to move around constantly, or that you are unable to fully shut off from work because there is always at least one more thing you can do each day. Either way can be fine depending on what someone wants from their life at that particuar point but whether this is what I want right now I am not sure.

Be prepared to travel!
                                          

This year marks the end of three years of moving between different cities. I will be here for another year, and then off again. Me and my friend both agreed that this moving was something that you generally have to do if you want to seize opportunities that come your way. It's just that knowing that doesn't make constantly relocating any easier. It is difficult to make those strong friendships, and then when you do, it is time to leave. I don't really know why I've given this so much thought recently. I guess I just miss my friends from all over the country.But comparing my inability to settle down compared to my friends is silly. Sometimes you have to just let it go, not compare yourself to others and focus on where you are in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment