Pages

Saturday 1 February 2014

Calm Before the Storm

During my first year there was a whirlwind of activity, I was new to Newcastle, I was setting up experiments, looking after project students, testing participants. It was daunting and felt like I had gone off at break neck speed, at times being unable to fully process it all. There was a near constant pressure to get things done. Pressure to prove myself to my supervisors. Pressure of moving and settling into a new city. Fortunately I was able to weather that particular storm of pressures. My second year has taken altogether much different pace. It much more nuanced, building there is pressure there but it is a different kind of pressure.

The pressures of my second year are different. First impressions are no longer important but to be able to sustain those impressions to my supervisors, examiners and most importantly myself. Also the second year pattern of work has been different. It much more like a nuanced novel, there are multiple strands of work that may seem unrelated yet they come together and in a big reveal that all of the strands are influencing each other all along. This gives the effect of a slow build up which leads to big crescendo at certain points. At times there is very little work, and progress may seem slow and this may lead to frustration at a lack of progess.

Yet then there are periods when it feels as if the work is unrelenting and there is no break or that you are unable to take a break. The speed of progress jumps straight from first to third gear. When this happens you may get to the point where you either begin to have physical or mental health problems. Such issues have been discussed in more detail elsewhere (see here and here for excellent discussions). This is a pressing topic and is one that needs to be more openly addressed by both universities, supervisor and the student themselves in order to help the student through this. I will write more on this issue in the future.

Stand Tall with the help of those around you

There are different pressures in each year of doing a PhD, I know that the pressures that I have now will not be the same as the ones I will face in my third year. With the help of my friends, supervisors and family I have been able to navigate through the pressures and stresses so far this year. And in doing so I hope that in return I am able to do the same. I am very greatful to them.

I will enjoy this calm moment, but I can see the future crescendo of work and pressure heading my way as it comes. Knowing that a storm is coming allows you to prepare, using your previous experiences to figure the specifics to plan the defences. But nothing, no matter how well prepared you are nothing is the same when it reaches your door step. Despite that you stand tall don't give up, you face up to it and your preparation and make sure you stand your ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment